Eddie Russell, Master Distiller at Wild Turkey, joins the show to discuss growing up around the distillery, apprenticeship, and what tradition has taught him about the business.
- Talk about your childhood. What was your upbringing like?
- What sports did you play?
- You were also going to play college ball at one point
- How did you get roped into this operation?
- In 2015 you were named Master Distiller here at Wild Turkey. Talk about your job now.
- Did your formal education prepare you for being a Master Distiller?
- What are some of the biggest lessons your father taught you?
- What was life like before the bourbon craze?
- Do you and your dad have the same flavor pallet?
- Your dad has said time and time again he’s hard-headed and old fashioned. What are some of the traditions here at Wild Turkey you intend on keeping?
- Do you feel a sense of pressure?
- From Erik Hasselgärde on Facebook: Bourbon is rooted in tradition, some from 200 years ago, some from 50. What are they learning about bourbon today, that they hope to pass on to future bourbon producers?
- From Ryan Oberleitner: Why has their entry proof been raised over the years? What affect do they think that has had?
- Do you plan on bring the 13yr age stated export here stateside?
- From Jack Johnson on Facebook: When they reach 100 years (total together) as Master Distillers (which will occur in less than 18 months), can we expect some outstanding special editions?
- From- Will T @iamwillt: Can we please get age and warehouse info on private and single barrels? It would give us reason to buy multiples.
- What’s one thing that annoys you in the bourbon industry?
- Do the ladies pay attention to you when Matthew McConaughey is around?
- Last year you all came out with Russells Reserve 1998. Talk about that release because I’m mad at myself I didn’t drop the money on it and people are raving it’s one of the best things to come out of Wild Turkey
- What’s next for Eddie Russell?
Matt Gandolfo, Brand Ambassador for Wild Turkey, talks history of the brand, non-GMO grains, each of the expressions and the new “Decades” release set for May 2016.
- We kick off the show talking about one of our past guests, Marianne Barnes, and the new name for the Old Taylor Distillery.
- Tell us about your first encounter with bourbon
- Tell us about your role and what it consists of
- Why is Wild Turkey 101 and not 100?
- How did it grow to a business from 101?
- What did the name Austin Nichols mean to Wild Turkey?
- So why remove the name Austin Nichols from the brand?
- What are some of things during the process makes Wild Turkey unique compared to other brands?
- What does Non-GMO products give you in regards to quality?
- What’s it like hanging around Jimmy Russell?
- Talk about the individual expressions and the differences between each.
- Talk about the new release called “Decades” that will be coming in May 2016
- Is there something that holds true to the quote “Older turkey is better turkey”?
- If you have to have one Wild Turkey product on the shelf as a staple, which do you choose?