I read a meme one time that as soon as a man enters his 30s, there are two hobbies he picks up. It’s whiskey and smoking meats. Well, I’m guilty for it and I know Ryan and Fred are too. There’s nothing better than starting the fire in your grill and preparing for the long night ahead making sure your brisket is done. I know when I started cooking on my grill, I went to the resource where you go to learn everything on internet and that’s YouTube. Immediately, I was hooked on the channel called How To BBQ Right. I learned the 10 different ways to cook ribs, game day burgers, and even a delicious pot roast from our guest today, Malcom Reed. Malcom has made a name for himself in the BBQ competition circuit and has turned it into one of the largest BBQ places on the internet. You can find him on YouTube, Instagram, TikTok and more talking how to BBQ crazy good meals. Malcom joins us to talk not only about BBQ, Wagyu steaks, dry rub vs sauce, but he’s also a big bourbon fan and you can catch him drinking Buffalo Trace or EH Taylor frequently on his channels. Don’t forget to to subscribe to his podcast called, you guessed it, How to BBQ Right.
- Catoctin Creek has been honoring that tradition of small craft rye whisky since 2009. Learn more at CatoctinCreekDistilling.com.
- Smooth Ambler builds on the traditional roots of American whiskey in West Virginia. Visit SmoothAmbler.com to learn more.
- Wilderness Trail is Sweet Mash Kentucky Straight Bourbon and Rye Whiskey distilled, aged, and bottled in Danville, Kentucky. Learn more at WildernessTrailDistillery.com.
- You can now buy Barrell Craft Spirits products online and have them shipped right to your door. Visit BarrellBourbon.com and click Buy Now.
- Spirits of French Lick is delivering the finest hand crafted Bottled in Bond bourbons. Check out SpiritsofFrenchLick.com.
- Savor every drop of summer at Total Wine & More! You’re sure to find cool prices in-store or online at TotalWine.com.
- Heaven Hill Distillery has been lifting America’s spirit since 1935. Check out educational resources and sign up for their newsletter at HeavenHillDistillery.com.
- This week’s Above the Char with Fred Minnick (@fredminnick) talks about working for distributors.
- How did your passion for BBQ grow into a business?
- How did you get into BBQ competitions?
- Are there rivalries in the BBQ community?
- Were you nervous when you first started putting out content?
- How did you get into bourbon?
- What bourbon pairs well with specific meats?
- Do you prefer dry rub or sauce?
- Do you ever get tired of cooking at home and prefer to go out?
- Are Costco prime steaks as good as other butcher shops?
- What do you think about wagyu beef?
- What is your favorite way to cook tomahawk steaks?
- What do you think about health organizations encouraging society to eat less meat?
- You are stranded on an island and can only pick one cooking apparatus, what do you choose?
- How do you chose what grill to use?
- What do you think about Blackstone griddles?
- What BBQ pit is your go to?
- Do you like to turbo cook or low and slow?
- Is using a pellet grill cheating?
- What’s your go to bourbon cocktail?
Great episode! Malcom Reed is a great guest and a BBQ superstar. He produces great recipes and is very entertaining. Thank you for this episode.