What is sourced whiskey? It can mean a lot of different things and many of us bourbon geeks feel some do it better than others. There is contract distillation and there is outright buying barrels, but it’s what you are doing with the bourbon that makes the story. We evaluate some of the most iconic brands that built their legacy off of sourcing and then look at today’s market to see who is doing something special versus simply slapping a label on a bottle.
- This week’s Above the Char with Fred Minnick talks about barrel finishes.
- How do you know when something is sourced?
- How do you source whiskey?
- What brands are sourced?
- What about pricing sourced whiskey?
- What kind of influence has sourced whiskey had on the industry?
- What is more respectable, starting a brand sourced and then transitioning to your own distillate or starting with your own distillate?
- What about contract distilling?
- What are the primary places to source from?