This episode is another Bourbon Pursuit milestone. It’s episode 400! Well, it’s technically number 668 if we include Whiskey Quickie and This Week in Bourbon, but let’s not get into the details. On this Bourbon Community Roundtable we cover two topics in depth. First is the news blitz of the whiskey fungus articles focused on Jack Daniel’s. If you’ve driven past any distillery in the past 100 or so year, you would have seen this everywhere. It also pops up in the news every year, but why is it just now making national headlines? I also ask the group if there is anything the distilleries can do to get in front of this to avoid any negative PR. The second half of the show dives into House Bill 5 that attacks the Kentucky Ad Valorem tax, in which Kentucky is the only state that taxes barrels aging and resting. We look at what this means for citizens that benefit from the tax and if we feel distilleries are already taxed enough.
- Above the Char with Fred Minnick (@fredminnick) talks about teeth staining.
- Why is the whiskey fungus just now making national news even though it’s been around for years?
- What can distilleries do to make sure this argument of bad PR doesn’t happen next year?
- What could the distilleries provide to residents to make them more comfortable?
- What do you think of the Ad Valorem tax on aging barrels?
- What would the removal of the tax mean for citizens?
- @breakingbourbon @fredminnick @drinkseelbachs @bourbonr @sippncorn
- Support this podcast on Patreon