Back on episode 128, we had Jacob Call on to talk about OZ Tyler. Back then, it was all about TerrePURE and making overnight bourbon. Jacob joins the show again to talk about overcoming the perception that OZ Tyler left behind since it’s now been rebranded back to the original name of the site, Green River Distilling. Jacob and the team at Green River have been doing traditional barrel aging since the very beginning and we feel they are producing some of the best bourbon at a young age, to the point where we are seeing contract brands such as Bradshaw Bourbon emerge.
- Catoctin Creek has been honoring that tradition of small craft rye whisky since 2009. Learn more at CatoctinCreekDistilling.com.
- Smooth Ambler builds on the traditional roots of American whiskey in West Virginia. Visit SmoothAmbler.com to learn more.
- Wilderness Trail is Sweet Mash Kentucky Straight Bourbon and Rye Whiskey distilled, aged, and bottled in Danville, Kentucky. Learn more at WildernessTrailDistillery.com.
- You can now buy Barrell Craft Spirits products online and have them shipped right to your door. Visit BarrellBourbon.com and click Buy Now.
- Spirits of French Lick is delivering the finest hand crafted Bottled in Bond bourbons. Check out SpiritsofFrenchLick.com.
- Savor every drop of summer at Total Wine & More! You’re sure to find cool prices in-store or online at TotalWine.com.
- Heaven Hill Distillery has been lifting America’s spirit since 1935. Check out educational resources and sign up for their newsletter at HeavenHillDistillery.com.
- This week’s Above the Char with Fred Minnick (@fredminnick) talks about future dusty bourbon.
- What was it like growing up with family in the whiskey business?
- Tell us about the history of the Green River project.
- Talk about the transition from the OZ Tyler name to Green River.
- Did you draw inspiration for the packaging from historic packaging?
- What is going to be your flagship offering?
- Are you using the TerrePURE process?
- Tell us about the Yellow Banks whiskey.
- How did you determine your mash bill?
- Are you doing a lot of experimentation?
- Talk about your warehouses.
- How many cases per year will Yellow Banks be?
- What are the differences between your brands and the contract brands?
- Are you guiding the brands that are contracting with Green River?
- Was it hard to sell off barrels early on to fund the business?
- What do you think will happen to this bourbon when it ages to 6-7 years?
- What should be changed in the bourbon world?
- Have you thought about doing a private barrel pick program?