Today’s episode features the Master Distiller from Barton 1792, Danny Kahn. Danny comes from a background of brewing beer that led him to working with some high profile names, that ultimately took him to whiskey. Danny brought some samples to try where the lowest proof was 125 and then they creep up to 160 proof! We talk about what happens when he finds barrels like these and our wishes for what we could do with them. Who wouldn’t want a single barrel of it?
- This week’s Above the Char with Fred Minnick talks about whiskey stories.
- Where are you from?
- Do you have any interesting scars?
- Tell us about the whiskey you brought today.
- Talk about your history in brewing beer.
- What were your early recipes like?
- Are you doing any distillery expansion or improvements?
- Tell us about Ridgemont Reserve.
- How long have you been at 1792?
- How does a bourbon get to 160 proof?
- Is it hard to take a high proof aged bourbon and proof it down?
- Tell us about your distilling process.
- How do you forecast the future bourbon needs?