026 – Intelligent Whiskey Recommendations from the Distiller App with Mikael Mossberg, Co-Founder and CEO
Mikael Mossberg, Co-Founder & CEO of Distiller, talks about his whiskey recommendation app and how his whiskey passion led him to be in the startup world.
- Kick off the show talking about Parker’s Heritage Collection #9, The Malt Whiskey Release
- What has your past been that led you up into Distiller?
- Tell us more about the app, what would you categorize it as?
- How did the idea spawn?
- We really like the “trending bottle”, how did that idea come about?
- Walk us through the recommendation engine
- Where do you find your expert reviewers?
- The reviews are like Amazon reviews, short and to the point.
- What sort of glasses do you drink out of? I found a good tidbit of information from Marianne Barnes about density and nosing.
- How many people are on the platform?
- How do you get all these bottles and samples for reviews?
- How did you come up with the tagline “The Whiskey Companion”?
- Shout out to our new audio engineer David Isreal
019 – A New Idea To Large Contract Distillation at Bardstown Bourbon Company with David Mandell, CEO
David Mandell, CEO of the Bardstown Bourbon Company, talks about the beginning of one of the newest and largest distilleries to ever hit Bardstown, KY. We talk about the present and future of this up and coming distillery.
- David tell us about your background
- Tell us about the spirits you will be distilling
- Give us your bourbon story. What led you into the spirits business?
- Talk a little bit about the operation you are currently building
- What edge does this give you compared to Heaven Hill, Four Roses for outsourcing bourbon?
- What are you going to do with 37,000 square feet of space?
- We’re the first to break the news about Harrison-Smith House being a staple at the new distillery.
- What else can you fit inside this massive space?
- What’s the timeline to get the stills running?
- To be called a bourbon it needs to be aged for two years. So what’s your two year plan to fill the gap?
- What are the long term plans with that facility?
- What was the solidifying fact by choosing Bardstown as the home for this new distillery?
- What are the biggest hurdles you see as the biggest blockers for trying to get into the spirits industry?
- Tell us about Steve Nally and what he brings to possible micro-distillers wanting to expand their product lines
- Where are you exactly in Bardstown?
- Like Bardstown Bourbon on Facebook, Follow @btownbourbon on twitter