105 – Behind a Russell’s Reserve Barrel Pick with Cork N Bottle, Reid & Emerald, and more at Wild Turkey
Wild Turkey Barrel Selection Exclusive with Ed Bley of Cork N Bottle, Reid and Emerald of 1789b, Nick Dikeos of The Bourbon Mafia, and Jimmy Russell of Wild Turkey. Get an inside look at how these connoisseurs of bourbon choose barrels while Jimmy is rattling off more information and history than we knew before. This is a Bourbon Pursuit first, bringing you inside on a private barrel selection.
Get 5% off your in-store and online orders at Art Eatables with offer code “Pursuit”
- Everyone introduce themselves
- Ed, what’s your mentality going into a barrel pick?
- Jimmy, what hasn’t been tried in this business?
- Jimmy, you said Wild Turkey doesn’t produce anything outside of their own brands but what about Old Ripy and Bond and Lilliard?
- Emerald, what’s bourbon like in Arizona?
- Jimmy, talk about Chill Filtering
- Ed, do you feel like we could be choosing barrels that have been passed on by others?
- Jimmy talks about MGP, Schenley, and more
- Nick, talk about off-profile picks and why they are desired
- Emerald, how has barrel picking changed since bourbon has become so popular because you can’t get things like private ETL?
- Reid, talk about the differences between choosing barrels at Four Roses
- Jimmy, talk about the oak that goes into making the barrels
- Jimmy, when it comes to local farmers, does farm to bottle really mean anything?
- Jimmy, how did you get in trouble with the Wild Turkey pewter tops?
- Ed, Reid, and Nick, what do you think collaborations of different stores and groups coming together to make something special?
- Jimmy, talk about Parker Beam from Heaven Hill
- These bottles will be in stores very soon!
A combination of 10 interviews all done at WhiskeyLive in Louisville. This podcast features Fred Noe and Beth Burrows of Jim Beam, Joe Beatrice of Barrell Bourbon, Brian Gelfo of Rabbit Hole, John Foster of Smooth Ambler, Josh Hollifield of Barton 1792, Kelly Ramsey of Art Eatables, Winston Edwards of Balcones, Greg Roshkowski of Cooper’s Craft, and we wrap it up with Bill Thomas of Jack Rose.
John Kowalczyk reveals how he started a Bourbon Christmas Gift Exchange that grew from just a handful of friends to an event that is sponsored by liquor stores and distilleries. (more…)